My day at Phranakhon Rajabhat University

My Days at Phranakhon Rajabhat University as Student
Teacher Exchange in Sea Teacher Project 2018



        January 19th 2018 just passed. It was a long trip from Yogyakarta, Indonesia to Bangkok, Thailand. It took almost 2 days to reach Bangkok before I touched down at Phranakhon Rajabhat University. Some of my friends who joined the 3rd batch SeaTeacher at my campus (PGRI University of Yogyakarta) picked me up at the airport (Don Meuang International Airport). They were gorgeous because they have been waiting for 1 hour in front of the arrival gate. However, exhausted, dizzy, and have not showered for a day, were suddenly gone after I saw their face and smile. “Aom” and Kett, kadd, are my friends who picked me at the airport).
These are they


After we catch up for few minutes, they took me to Phranakhon Rajabhat University, the campus which hosted me during my practicum in Thailand. While on my way to the university, i looked around Bangkok for a while, it was heartwarming and exciting because Thailand was the first country in my list to be visited. We arrived at the campus few minutes later with bunch of friends were waiting and welcoming us in front of the dormitory. 

After we fixed our stuffs and bring it into our room, the buddies asked us to have lunch together at campus’s hotel. It was Pad Thai, the favorite food in Thai. It was as the same as noodle ‘Mie tiauw’ in Indonesia. After we finished the lunch, we were going to grocery near to the campus to buy some stuff for our daily life during our practicum.


Day 1 at Phranakhon Rajabhat University

In the morning we had meeting with ajarn Suwan, ajarn Picharnon, Dr. Apichart, Dr.Sasithorn as the dean of English Department. They welcomed us very well and it was like warm-welcoming from the lecturers (ajarn) here. It was a pleasure to meet them. The situation when rest of SeaTeacher students invited to CTE building to meet the lecturer of English Education Program at Phranakhon Rajabhat University was incredible. We talked many things about our first day stay in Thailand and letting us introduce ourselves. After meeting we took photo together as a group of lecturer and student. It was a pleasure to take photo with ajarn Suwan, ajarn Picharnon. They were very kind lecturer though. After attending the meeting, our buddies asked us to go to wonder place in Bangkhen, it looked like traditional house but it was like traditional medicine.


















The second day was the unforgettable moment for me because ajarn Suwan invited us to join his class, it was seminar class with section 2 (class b). The material was about teaching reading and the learning environment in this class was amazing. Students were active and confident with their knowledge. They had a brave to give their own comment to the presenter of the seminar and i was very lucky to join ajarn suwan’s class. The students in class b were remarkable. There were many smart students that shocked me out. So glad to be Phranakhon Rajabhat Univeristy’s student even just for a moment..hahaha

From the second day I’m here, I’ve got many experiences with their teaching and learning process in which when I come back to my campus, I can tell my lecturers about the facilities, learning-teaching environment, the lecturers and all of beloved friend in this beloved university. After we finished ajarn suwan’s class, we got a break for lunch with the students in class b and sharing about our educational system in university. We were excited when we give that information each other, we were eager to ask each other all day long but ajarn Suwan invited us to attend the second seminar conducted by class A. It was about teaching skill: Inductive and Deductive. The condition was just the same as the previous, active student, fun and enjoy classroom.

We went to Gym & Spa center at campus first before we continued our trip to campus’s clinic, Language center
and library. The campus had many sophisticated facilities that supporting students’ progress in learning.The students who accompanied us at that time were amazing even though it was the first time we met but they were very friendly when explaining about their facilities to us. It was such a great opportunity to be here and make friend with them. I learned a lot from the lecturers and friends here. In the future, if they go to Indonesia, it will be a pleasure for me to meet and accompany them.







Days at Phranakhon Rajabhat University



Well, teacher Piyada Junwanna. She is very funny and excellent teacher because she taught the student very good. She is a psychology’s lecturer that inspired me a lot. She invited us to join her class in the morning, and even she picked us in front of the dorm to follow her to the class. It was a class for math students, and we thought it was going to learn about math or something related to numbers and formula in which I had no idea with it, Hahahaa. I was wrong about the material that teacher Piyada would teach at that time. It was about how to solve the problem in the classroom by several kinds of problem. 

She led us to introduce ourselves to math’s students as an exchange student teacher from Indonesia. It was a pleasure to catch up with the students. The students welcomed us very well at that moment and after that teacher Piyada asked us to sit together with the students and followed her class. 

Teacher Piyada taught us how some problems related to teaching and learning process such as: 

 Students engagement
 Students don’t put their attention to the teacher and material
 How to behave as a real teacher
 And set of problems in the classroom 
Many experiences that I can learn from teacher Piyada, I loved her class so much. Hope someday, I will practice her skill to solve the problem in the classroom as well as her. Thank you teacher Piyada. 
After attending teacher Piyada class, we had another appointment with the principles from Wat Phrasri Mahadhat Secondary Demonstration School of Phranakhon Rajabhat University. This school is merged to Phranakhon Rajabhat University since 1995 and this school is amazing. The school is one of the favorites school in Bangkok. 
I shocked when the school principle gave us time to talk with these students. They were very good in Speaking. They answered all of the questions perfectly because many of the students of this school have good experience in learning. Some of them had been learning abroad for student exchange such as in America, Japan, Germany and others. 



Days at Phranakhon Rajabhat University

On day 4, we the student teacher exchange from Indonesia were welcomed officially at Phranakhon Rajabhat University by the president of the University. The agenda started at 9.am in president’s building. It’s located inside the campus near to our dorm and it was a pleasure to meet and have a time to hear his speech on day 4.
At the time, Dr. Wilaichitra as the master ceremony letting us to introduce our name, campus, and our expectation for joining Sea Teacher Project in Thailand with formal presentation. After we finished the presentation, James the student who has won writing competition by Sea Teacher Project that conducted in Lampung, Indonesia told us about his experience in that competition. He is a smart student that inspired all of us to learn more harder and never cease to get as many as experience in life. The event was going very well from the beginning until the end. Thank you for the president of Phranakhon University, The dean of English Education Study Program, and other persons that I can’t mention one by one for welcoming us. Thanks a lot. Khapunkrap..heheee


After the meeting, we headed to Phranakhon's Grand view hotel to have lunch for free, hmmm hahahaa
The food was huuu unbelievably great and halal of course. We placed in VIP room i guess, because only lecturers, buddies, and us in that room. Such a great occasion to be here.
After we finished our lunch, Dr.Wilaichitra invites us to join her class. The subject was about The historical of English speaking country with second year student. Wow, another experience ya.
They were very cooperate when we learn together. Dr.wilaichitra asked us to join the groups, and we work together then.

Days at Phranakhon Rajabhat University

I had to wake early at that time so i dont lose the bus. Woke at 5 in the morning was the thing i infrequently do every morning though. Hahaha
But by now, i gotta wake as early as i can because the school is quite far from my dorm at Phranakhon Rajabhat University. These days i dont have many time to chill out. Doing many good things, excluding useless things.
My practicum school is Navamindarajudis Krungthepmahakon School. 30 minutes away from my dorm. The first time i arrived at the school was quite ok. We took bus around 20 minute then we continued by motorcyle 5 minutes after that we reached the school. 
This was my first observation at school. At that time, before the students started the class, they had flag ceremony at 07:40 in the morning every monday-friday. Then after the ceremony flag i did my observation. My mentor was teacher jef. He is foreign teacher at that school. It was pleasure to meet him at that time. I observed his class 4 times. While i did my observation, i also look around the classroom. Many sophisticated facilities and other sources were available in the classroom.



Well, not many activity happened at this time because I've been doing many things for a week and on the weekend, i had to revive my spirit and energy so i can do the same thing for the next week. 
Making journal, lesson plan and other things that was i do in last two days.
Next week is assisting my mentor to do the class and after that, i'm going to teach M1 (grade 7). 



Days at Phranakhon Rajabhat University
On monday, i had class with my mentor teacher jeb, gorgeous teacher and humble..
He will take care of me while im here as a student teacher exchange..
I helped him a bit to do the class, it was managing student, help students if they need assistance and encourage them.
In this moment, i felt more closer to the students that i'm going to teach by next week because of this activity.
Thousand of thanks to my mentor for letting me do something in the classroom.
Only one class for this monday, because my mentor has 1 class only on monday hahahaaa
While waiting to go back to dorm, i made lesson plan for next week teaching. My friends from Phranakhon Rajabhat University who have been here in this school for 1 year intership, they helped me a lot. They taught me the steps to make thai lesson plan. I've Got many memories here even though this was my first week. Can't wait to do many things here..heheee









Days at Phranakhon Rajabhat University as student teacher exchange

         Well, i skipped the day 8 because i did nothing at that time just take a rest and ya, nothing special excepts revived my energy..
Today is day 10 which means 2 weeks more for me to be here.
And today i did observation and teacher assistance..
In the first periode, teacher name asked me to join his class, and i think why not, it's gonna be great to have many experiences with many teachers.
The class was regular class that is different with special class in which they are clever in English.
        The students were quite "silent" when teacher started the class. They were very very talk active, but teacher name was able to control the class. So glad to learn many thing from him today.
The second experience for today was when i accompanied my mentor to teach M5. This is special class anyway, but they killed me and my mentor as a piece of cake. Need extra energy to handle them, quite hard to prevent the students who were busy with their own gadget to follow the class. But my mentor was absolutely awesome, as a foreign teacher in this school, he was able to manage them by some kind of teaching methods.
Thank you again my mentor teacher Jeb




Days as student teacher exchange at Phranakhon Rajabhat University in Bangkok, Thailand.


          Today, i had precious moment when the teacher asked me to introduce myself in front of the students, teachers, staffs, and directors of the school. It was a pleasure to get know my environment closer. Show off !! 😄
And Still doing teacher assistance before facing my teaching on next week. With teacher Jeb 🤙
We've done many things lately in which consume our energy a lot. It doesn't matter actually to spend energy and time, because we've learned many experiences here. The environment, experiences, efforts, are something priceless. Next week will be my turn to do the class. All lesson plans, materials, and sources were completed. Ready for my teaching as student teacher exchange. 

Can't wait





Days at Phrabakhon Rajabhat University


        Today was the last teacher assistance for me, next monday I'll take my turn as a teacher at my school. So many things I've got today. 

My day at school today was begun in periode 1 in which conducted by teacher Aiss. Every friday, teacher Aiss teaches the students with various of activities. Today, she taught M1 class (Junior High School at grade 1). 

        The activities in her class today were : 

1. Teacher Aiss played a song and asked the students to sing together. In this part actually was not only singing, teacher Aiss told me about this activity, "This activity is not just only singing, there are several things included in this part such as improving students' speaking skill in pronouncing the conjunction or punctuation "won't, gonna, gotta, etc". 

2. Then after finishing this activity, teacher Aiss gave "paper song" in which the students were asked to fill the blank space on the paper. Teacher Aiss played different song with the first activity, while the music were playing, students should put their attention on answering the task. In this part, students were able to improve their listening skill and accuracy, and timing. Teacher Aiss gave 2 chances of repititions so the students were able to recheck their answer. After that, teacher showed the answer on the white board.
3. "Binggo game". The students named this game. Hahaaa 
Teacher Aiss asked few students to read some vocabularies. After one student finished their job, another student would take their turn to read the vocabulary. And the rest of the students were writing the vocabulary has been read by another student. In this case, the objective was students were asked to be confident when they have to speak in public. When they get the microphone, it means they have to speak as confident as they could. And the last was "Dancing time" hahahaaa
It used as stretching for the students at the end of the class. 
Then after taking time with teacher Aiss's class, I continued my teacher assistance to teacher Jeb's class. My mentor teacher. 
Not many that i could do in teacher Jeb's class because he was doing the review for the next exam. The reviews were discussing about the previous chapter that has been learned. 
Teacher Jeb wants his students will be ready on facing the exam so they will get good result at the end. Then after his class, i did my lesson plan again. I completed all my three lesson plans today.






Monday 5th february 2018 as student teacher exchange at Phranakhon Rajabhat University

    On monday, i had teaching. It was my first teaching, and it wasn't good at all.

At the first, opening the class i did it good, but it wasn't good at the end. I don't know, i might not good at that time, but i excited to improve my skill. My mentor gave me some suggestion related to my teaching, the suggestion was awesome. I learned a lot on monday, i faced the real condition, environment, and students.

    I taught about Modal: can to m1/12 (grade 7 junior high school). I played the video about the material at first and it's work. The students were interested with the video, then i tried to ask the students about the material. Besides, using the video i also used the material from textbook to add more knowledge. 

There were some parts that i forget to explain, but it wasn't crucial. I thanked my mentor so much for the time and place given for me. After the teaching, i made a revision for myself. What should i do in the next teaching, the method, class management. I prepared it after my teaching. So i can apply it in the next teaching on Tuesday because at that time i will have 3 classes.







Tuesday, 6 February 2018 at Phranakhon Rajabhat University as student teacher exchange batch 5

Today was quite tough for me because i had 3 classes to do in which the first class was M3 (grade 9 junior high school) at 08.30-09.20 a.m then with M2 class at 10.10-11.00 and the last was M1 at 14.20-15.10 p.m. I've been teaching at grade 7 on monday actually, but today was the last class with them. I have learned few experiences from the M1 class on monday so the suggestion that i got from M1 class would be applied to these two classes M2 & M3. 

I have made few changes in the previous night that ready to be applied in the next classes.

Let's start with M3 class..😄
I made some rules in this class before i started the class, they were: 
1. If you keep talking with your friend while i'm teaching you, get yourself ready to do 5 times push up.
2. Follow the lesson.
3. Today's material is about......

This was the rules shown to the students prior to the learning process begun. Why??...

I was quite affraid if today's meeting will be as the same as yesterday, i got a problem with class management actually, difficult for me to make the students quite and follow the lesson, hence i made it last night hahaaaa

Good news was the students followed my rules, they were quite and follow the class . It works!!
The material that i taught was about modal verb: should (Reading). I taught reading skill today for all classes but different material.
M1: modal verb: can 
M2: past continuous
At the end as usual of my teaching, my mentor evaluated me, he added some points and suggestion for me in which useful to be applied in the next classes. The advice from my mentor was i need to fix the open-end up question which it used to make students think critically about the material. 
And next Thursday, i will have 2 classes that is M3 and M2 in which are going to be my last classes at school and my supervisior from university will evaluate me on that day. So, i need to improve myself and apply all suggestions given by my school mentor.




Last event at Phranakhon Rajabhat University as student teacher exchange in Sea-Teacher Batch 5

       On 15th February we the students teacher exchange had a farewell party as a symbol that our duties is finished. In the last week there, we were doing many activities such had a trip to beach and floating market, making self-report, presentation, and preparing for farewell party. Quite tough actually when we ran out of the time to accomplished all those activities but nonetheless we were happy of doing many activities, it trained us to be well prepared in any moments, events, situations. We the students from Indonesia have learned a lot from Thai Education, people, and culture. To gain such this experience is not an easy thing, we have been through many moments when we were there. Collaborating with Thai people and foreign teachers at school gave us new knowledge in life and teaching skill. 

        Therefore, in the last presentation to the lecturers and teacher there, we explained about our experiences at school so they would know about things we have been facing through. The presentation was officially given in front of those school representatives, lecturers, and students of English Teacher education study program. Each school presented their experience who partake in this event. School experiences such as observation, teaching assistance, teaching practicum, and evaluation is contained within the presentation slides. After giving the presentation, the President of Phranakhon Rajabhat University gave us certificate as a symbol that we were doing 1 month practicum hosted by their campus. 

        After the presentation, we had lunch together with lecturers, staffs, and students teacher exchange. We continued our event list with culture exchange, began with staffs performance and then our chance to be. after we prepared our performance in the 3 days before this event started, we finally made it well. We showed our traditional dance, there were 5 types of performances that showed to those people who still sit in the room. The performances were 1 traditional dance "Betawi dance" and after that sang our national anthem, Maumere dance from eastern of Indonesia, and solo performance by 3 kinds of dance.

         





School Profile
School Name              :  Navamindarajudis Krungthepmahanakhon School
School Address          :   Bueng Kum, Bangkok 10230, Thailand
School Vision             : Navamindarajudis Krungthepmahanakhon School aims to proceed the world-standard school along with developing the school to be excellence school which indicates the meaning of the excellence school that it is the school which has social, environment and atmosphere of learning location, has the ability in administration and manage learning and teaching focus on child-centered achievement to make the learning outcome of the core subject of the students high and higher than the standard criterion set, has knowledge of well understanding to keep in touch with the changing of the world, has ethics and moral mind of being Thai, has skillful and responsibility in working including with spending life in social, eager to learn and has the capability of long life-learning, the school can provide all kinds of preferable and variable education needed and appreciated by the community.  
In addition to create Navamindarajudis Krungthepmahankhon School Curriculum for Mini English Program references The Basic Education Core Curriculum B.E. 2551. This curriculum is created by Navamindarajudis Krungthepmahanakhon Teachers with their concentration and agreed by The Basic Education Committee.



Academic Support System
Navamindarajudis Krungthepmahanakhon School provides many facilities to support all students and teachers in enhancing the learning and teaching process.  Hence, this school is well provided in reaching their goals. They have 2 broad fields in which consist of 1 football yard and 1 indoor field is used to do flag ceremony every morning.  Besides these 2 fields, the school also provides laboratory for science, art building, sophisticated classroom with brand new technology and also they have 1 field for canteen.  
The indoor field usually used as the place to do the flag ceremony and other sports activity. The classroom for lower secondary and upper secondary there are consists of Mathayom 1 to 6. Thaimusical workshop room, evaluate office, toilet for teachers and students, fotocopy room, big dining room for student and teacher, boy and girls dorm. The school also provides extra-curricular activities, such as science day, scout, lesson project, basketball, etc.
Those facilities are provided to help the school in developing and achieving the goal sets. The term academic support may refer to a wide variety of instructional methods, educational services, or school resources provided to students in the effort to help them accelerate their learning progress, catch up with their peers, meet learning standards, or generally succeed in school. When the term is used in educational contexts without qualification, specific examples, or additional explanation, it may be difficult to determine precisely what “academic support” is referring to. The terms support or supports may also be used in reference to any number of academic support strategies.
The Classroom-based strategies: Teachers continually monitor student performance and learning needs, and then adjust what they teach or how they teach to improve student learning. This is one of the academic supports that applied in Navamindarajudis Krungthepmahanahon School as their strategies on developing the quality of the learning process as long as to be the world-standard school along with developing the school to be excellence school.



1.3 Teaching System
The teaching system in Navamindarajudis Krungthepmahanakhon School especially for English subject, the school uses curriculum (Mini English Program) B.E. 2554 that taken by The Basic Education Core Curriculum B.E. 2551. This curriculum is used as the reference for the teachers to get the goals set.
The teachers are able to apply their own teaching style while teaching in the classroom. However, the teachers stay focus on the value or the goals that served in the curriculum. The foreign teachers are able to use their own teaching style in the classroom, it caused the foreign teachers are someone who has the expertise in teaching English as second language. The methods in teaching might be different in some points with Thai teacher, but the method is should be appropriate with the Thai students and the values in applying some different methods.
1.4 Materials and other learning sources
            In Navamindarajudis Krungthepmahanakhon School the textbook is provided by the government. The teachers are able to use the material from textbook and other learning sources to enrich students’ knowledge. Based on my observation during the time while the teachers are preparing their materials for the next classes, I found that teachers used many kind of learning sources. For instance, my mentor was usually using the material from the textbook to teach in the classroom, he gave me the reason why he used textbook most often to teach the students, it was because he wanted students use their book, it meant that students would bring knowledge in their bag every day. He asserted that the textbook should be useful for the students to get the knowledge. It is not only for display.
There are also another teacher who uses the material from their own thought and other learning sources such as from internet and any other books. Kinds of material from different sources also help students to get different version of knowledge, if teachers used many kind of learning sources, students would be able to expand their thought about that material.


1.5 Measurement and evaluation system
The measurement is one of teaching tool to understand students’ comprehension and ability on understanding the material. The teacher should be aware of the students’ development during the school activity. The teachers can make worksheet and kinds of paper work for students to measure their comprehension on understanding the material. Other tools are also able to use because the factor of multiple intelligent may take part on students’ development. For the evaluation system, there are mid-term and final examination test in which these are also can be used as the way to know students’ development during the learning process.
1.6 Curriculum
Curriculum in Kachanaphisek Wittayalai School is based on Basic Education Core Curriculum B.E. 2551 (A.D. 2008) from The Ministry of Education in Thailand.
Learning Area of Foreign Languages
Why it is necessary to learn foreign languages
In the present global society, learning foreign languages is very important and essential to daily life, as foreign languages serve as an important tool for communication, education, seeking knowledge, livelihood and creating understanding of cultures and visions of the world community. Foreign languages enable learners to be aware of diversity of cultures and viewpoints in the world community, conducive to friendship and cooperation with various countries. They contribute to learners’ development by giving learners better understanding of themselves and others. The learners are thus able to learn and understand differences of languages and cultures, customs and traditions, thinking, society, economy, politics and administration. They will be able to use foreign languages for communication as well as for easier and wider access to bodies of knowledge, and will have vision in leading their lives.
The foreign language constituting basic learning content that is prescribed for the entire basic education core curriculum is English, while for other foreign languages, e.g., French, German, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, Pali and languages of neighbouring countries, it is left to the discretion of educational institutions to prepare courses and provide learning management as appropriate. 

1.        Pedagogical Contents
2.1 Teaching Methods   
             The foreign teachers have many teaching methods that can be applied in any kind of situations.  They can use many interesting method that appropriate with the material. For instance, when my mentor taught the reading skill for 1 topic, he did 3 kinds of activities in which these activities did not include in the draft
     Another teacher has their own teaching method, some of them prefer to do the teaching by using interesting activity, playing game while teaching, fill the gap, sing a song, etc.
Their expertise in teaching is remarkable, and their kindness on sharing the experiences in teaching was incredibly good. They are evolve every day because when they had teaching in the classroom, there must be 1 teacher who observing their teaching method. That is why they have many kinds of teaching method. Even they have had plenty of method, they are still learning another teaching method, their curiousness on pursuing the brand new method helps them to be better.

       2.2 Learning materials and innovation
              The innovation in teaching is unlimited which mean there must be a teacher who always looking for the way of how the learning process can be more easily and efficiently to do. The examples of innovation approaches in teaching and learning in Navamindarajudis Krungthepmahanakhon School are include in classroom and course management innovations, including new ways of teaching that promote student engagement, reorganization of a course which improves students’ ability to apply what they have learnt.
              The practice of effective and meaningful teaching can benefit immensely when educators thoughtfully experiment and apply new or different pedagogical approaches, technologies, curricular enhancement, course design and organization, and assessments.
The school has already provided the new innovation in school, it started from the sophisticated technologies such as the projector which helps students to learn the material easier because teacher can show them various of materials from different sources and also other teaching innovation that help students and teachers to work together to gain the goals.
       2.3 Sources of learning and technology
The foreign teachers used many learning sources to teach in the classroom. During my observation, I found that the source was unlimited. They got the sources from internet, textbook, newspaper, other books, experiences, and others.
They are able to get many sources because of the facility that given by the school. The internet connection at the office is very fast, printer and photocopy machine, they also have 2 available computers at the office, and the students also allowed bringing their phone in the school which helps students to get more information and knowledge by using their own phone. Teachers are helped by this kind of technology which develops their creativity on designing the learning process for the students.



        2.4 Authentic assessment
 Teachers have to do the measurement to the students related to their comprehension on learning the material. Authentic assessment can be devised by the teachers, or in collaboration with the student by engaging student voice. Authentic assessment asked the students to perform real-world tasks that demonstrate meaningful application of essential knowledge and skills.
To accomplish the goals such as emphasizes what the students have learnt from the lesson, teachers do the measurement by giving the students tasks. For examples:
·         Oral interviews : Teacher asks students question about personal background, activities, readings, and other interesting activity
·         Story telling : students retell main ideas or selected details of the text experienced through listening or reading
·         Writing sample: students generate narrative, expository, persuasive and others
·         Teacher observation: teacher observes students’ attention, response to instructional materials, or interactions with other students.
·         And many other assessments.
2.        Teaching Plan
3.1 Curriculum
The curriculum at Navamindarajudis Krungthepmahanakhon School especially for English subject, the school uses curriculum (Mini English Program) B.E. 2554 that taken by The Basic Education Core Curriculum B.E. 2551. This curriculum is used as the reference for the teachers to get the goals set.
3.2 Teaching plan
The process of making a lesson plan by student teacher made through manual system. Before entering the learning process, the student teacher is required to make lesson plan and send it to the teacher mentor for asking the correction and suggestion. Student teacher lesson plan during teaching practice at Navamindarajudis Krungthepmahanakhon is attached.
3.        Observation on Teacher
1)      Planning for Teaching
Teachers make a teaching plan (lesson plan) and prepare all of things needed before teaching in the classroom.

2)      Preparing Lessons and Materials
On preparing the lesson and materials for teaching, I was lucky because my teacher mentor gave me the material from the textbook that he used for everyday teaching. The only thing that I got to do was only adding some content to enrich the materials content. I searched some content from internet, and make that worksheet for students.
3)      Teaching in Class
On monday, i had teaching. It was my first teaching, and it wasn't good at all.  At the first, opening the class i did it good, but it wasn't good at the end. I don't know, I might not good at that time, but i excited to improve my skill. My mentor gave me some suggestion related to my teaching, the suggestion was awesome. I learned a lot on monday, I faced the real condition, environment, and students.
I taught about Modal: can to m1/12 (grade 7 junior high school). I played the video about the material at first and it's work. The students were interested with the video, then i tried to ask the students about the material. Besides, using the video i also used the material from textbook to add more knowledge. There were some parts that i forget to explain, but it wasn't crucial. I thanked my mentor so much for the time and place given for me. After the teaching, i made a revision for myself. What should i do in the next teaching, the method, class management. I prepared it after my teaching. So I can apply it in the next teaching on Tuesday because at that time I will have 3 classes.
On Tuesday was quite tough for me because i had 3 classes to do in which the first class was M3 (grade 9 junior high school) at 08.30-09.20 a.m then with M2 class at 10.10-11.00 and the last was M1 at 14.20-15.10 p.m. I've been teaching at grade 7 on monday actually, but today was the last class with them. I have learned few experiences from the M1 class on monday so the suggestion that i got from M1 class would be applied to these two classes M2 & M3.  I have made few changes in the previous night that ready to be applied in the next classes. It was started with M3 class. I made some rules in this class before i started the class, they were: 




1. If you keep talking with your friend while i'm teaching you, get yourself ready to do 5
    times push up.
2. Follow the lesson.
3. Today's material is about
.
This was the rules shown to the students prior to the learning process begun. I was quite affraid if today's meeting will be as the same as yesterday, i got a problem with class management actually, difficult for me to make the students quite and follow the lesson. Good news was the students followed my rules, they were quite and follow the class . It works. The material that i taught was about modal verb: should (Reading). I taught reading skill at that time for all classes but different material.
M1: modal verb: can 
M2: past continuous.
At the end as usual at the end of my teaching, my mentor evaluated me, he added some points and suggestion for me in which useful to be applied in the next classes. The advice from my mentor was i need to fix the open-end up question which it used to make students think critically about the material. 

6)      Measurement and Evaluation
For the measurement, student teacher gave worksheet as the tool to understand the students’ comprehension in term reaching the goals.

4.        Teaching Practice
5.1 Procedures of teaching
Before I did my teaching, I gave my teacher mentor the evaluation form that provided by the SeaTeacher and I also gave my lesson plan 2 days before I conducted my teaching in which my mentor will give me some advises and correction toward my lesson plan.


       5.2 Time Management and organizing activities
There are 4 steps in teaching steps that I applied when I conducted the classroom. These steps are provided from the lesson plan. I followed and used the Thai lesson plan during my teaching. I asked some help from the student teacher from Phranahon Rajabhat University who are doing internship for 1 year at the school. Those steps are described as follow:
·         Warn up/lead in
This is the first activity prior to do the teaching process. It contains greeting, brainstorming, rememorizing the previous material, and describe about the material that is going to learn. This activity can be done in 5-7 minutes. It used to maximize students’ readiness to the learning process.
·           Presentation
The presentation is the main activity of the teacher because the teacher conveys the material for the students. In this step, the teacher can explain the material either by themselves nor engage to students to do the material together. This activity needs 20 minutes to be finished because the teaching duration given 50 minutes per meeting.
·         Practice
This activity is very crucial for the students in term understanding the material given by the teacher. This reflection is helping students to practice the material. It takes 20 minutes to do some practices or tasks.
·           Production
The production is the result on the practicing the material. It makes the teacher easier to give assessment and understanding more about student ability in processing the material. This activity takes 5 minutes at the end of the classroom.
   5.3 Problem Solving
In my first teaching practice, I found some problem related to the classroom activity. The students were talked active with their friends so they did not put their attention to me thoroughly and also my skill in communicate with students in term open-end up question. In my second teaching I still find the problem with students related to their attention so I was quite excited to make them follow the class. In my third teaching process, I made a change in conducting the classroom. I made a rule for students prior the classroom, I showed them 3 rules. They were:
1. If you keep talking with your friend while i'm teaching you, get yourself ready to do 5
    times push up.
2. Follow the lesson.
3. Today's material is about
.
The results for my rules was success in handling students attention, the students follow my rule and active in learning the material. I used my rules until my last teaching practice.

   5.4 Classroom management
In managing the classroom, I taught in enjoy and active and using some games in conducting the teaching.
  

6.Summary and Suggestions
a.         Purposes of practicum 2
The purposes of the project are to enable pre-service student teachers to develop their teaching skills and pedagogy, to encourage the pre-service student teacher to practice their English skills, and to allow the pre-service student teacher to gain a broader regional and world view.
b.        Procedures of practicum
The practicum period is for one month. The students roles and responsibilities are assigned weekly during the one month period consist of observation, teaching assistant,teaching practice, evaluation and reflection. The host universities will provide mentors to supervise and monitor the student teacher throughout the practicum period
c.        Outcomes of practicum
The outcomes of this practicum program that I learned are :
1)  Can integrate the knowledge, attitudes, and skills profesionally in educational instution both in their country and abroad.
2)    Get to know social culture and work culture in other state agencies thatare expected to be an inspiration in creating a better system in their country.
3)      be able to increase English skill in daily life.
d.        Suggestions for future improvement
I hope for the next batch, not only three countries (Indonesia, Philippines, and Thailand) which joined this program, but all countries in ASEAN.








Komentar